Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Aberllynfi Castle

Breconshire (Powys) mid-Wales
SO 171 380

A natural platform about 48m long by 30m wide which rises 4m above what was formerly marshland forms a bailey presumably once divided from the level ground to the east by a ditch. A mound 2m high with a summit 15m across lying at the west end, where there is a stream, may actually be the buried base of a circular stone keep. The castle is mentioned in documents of the period 1180-1211 and in September 1233 was given by Henry III to Inges, one of his crossbowmen. The castle was recovered shortly afterwards by Hugh Kinnersley, the original owner, and fortified on behalf of his lord, Walter de Clifford, who was then in rebellion. King Henry then ordered Henry de Turbeville to recapture the castle. The platform with a 3m deep rock cut ditch .3km to the east could be a siegework of this period.

Mike Salter, The Castles of Mid Wales, Folly Publications, 2001.

 


Home | Main Menu | Castle Index | Historical Essays | Related Essays | What's New | Links

Copyright 2009 by Jeffrey L. Thomas